Sunday, July 31, 2011

New E-mail, Death To AOL!

Test, test, one two three. I will be dipped, my electronic pal, Teresa is right, I can plug this little laptop into my desktop's keyboard.

If anyone cares we are finally, after thirteen years, getting away from AOL. Linda Lou bought a wifi card with the laptop I got when Linda Lou was going through all that hospital stuff. We never could figure out how to use it. Well, finally we took the laptop and the wifi card to Stephanie and Dean's when we went to Karson's BDay party and got them to show us how to use the wifi on the laptop. We also took a cell phone picture of the wireless router that makes a desktop work with the wifi.

Well yesterday we bought the router, we installed it today and it only took about an hour and a half of calling the curses of the old Norse Gods upon the entire universe to make it work. Now Linda Lou is in the living room at her desk and I'm in my little study/reloading room. We are each at our computers and we are both perfectly happy. We can both be online at the same time! Nor do I have to get offline so Linda Lou can use the landline for important calls! Most importantly, no more money to A. Huffington! Seems like I ought to be declaring three days feasting and celebration.

If anyone is still reading this, our wacobay@aol.com E-mail will no longer work. My petdavis@gmail will still work and the Linda Lou/family E-mail will be wacobay@gmail.com. I'm not quite sure I really want to stay with Google, they are only marginally better than AOL. Still, I do not have to shovel money at Google, month after month.

Oh, and for those unfamiliar with our part of Texas, just because we've been using wacobay as our E-mail addy since we moved here in '98, we are over a hundred miles from Waco, Texas. We live near Lake Tawakoni. Lake Tawakoni has a bay jutting out towards our little piece of the rock named (you guessed it) Waco Bay. we needed an E-mail addy, everything else we thought of was already taken, so...

2 comments:

pamibe said...

YAY! Good to hear you sorted everything out.

AOL sucks. We ditched them in '96. Free at last! ;)

Teresa said...

So glad to hear you have things working! If gmail gets too annoying you can also try yahoo. They seem to be way less intrusive than gmail. You can always open a test account to see if you like it better.

Btw it was awful trying to dump aol when I did it. I just hung out on the phone with them for over an hour saying "NO".