Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!





Since we don't drink anymore here our New Year celebrations have become somewhat more sedate, albeit easier to remember. This year I celebrated New Year's Eve by finally trying to cook (and eat) liver and onions, mashed potatoes and gravy.

I am pleased to report that soaking the liver in milk really works. Now the downside of the project was that I bought calf's liver from Wal Mart, the liver was sliced so thin that it kept tearing into smaller and smaller pieces at every step of the way, making the preparation somewhat difficult. The good news was that it tasted wonderful.

I started by cooking the onions in oil until they were mostly brown, they then sat on paper towels, draining the excess oil while I fried the liver. The liver tore so badly I didn't try to dredge it in flour. It tasted fine without it, though. Then I made gravy out of the milk I soaked the liver in, some flour and the oil and drippings from the skillet.

Then I ate and ate. And ate some more. All three dogs got some liver scraps, the pictures above are of Ming the Merciless getting (more than) her share. She got a couple of extra little pieces because Linda Lou was snapping pictures.

My next try will be with beef liver instead of calf, in hopes that it doesn't tear apart so easily, otherwise I'll have to shop somewhere besides Wally World for my liver.

Then at Midnight I threw out a few firecrackers and then fired six rounds of black powder shotgun shells into the ground so that I had the empty brass shells to reload with powder, shot and some cut-up pieces of sparkler. If I can make those work I should be an amazing sight at the Cowboy Actions Shoots this year. Yee-haw!

No comments: