Monday, May 08, 2006

Pictures









We called the phone company and complained, they got rid of the static and improved the connection. Maybe I can post a few pictures.

Here you see my new revolver, coupled with my old one. They are exactly alike except in finish, the new one is stainless steel, the old is blue/casehardened. Well, the old one has the Buffalo Brothers grips, too.

You can also see the new holster, the lighter one. I had put out a want to buy add on the SASS wire and the guy in charge of Etowah River Leather sent me an old prototype he had cluttering up a drawer in his shop. It was actually made for an old style Ruger Vaquero and, as such, is somewhat larger than my iron needs. The oversize holster does not hurt anything, it would slow down my draw if I was into fast draw but since I'm not, it just sits a little deeper, more well protected. As if I could draw fast from a left hand holster.

My little digital camera will not show the quality of the workmanship on this holster. It has been sitting in the bottom of a drawer, with other stuff on top. With that in mind, it has not been smushed, it is still very solid. The owner, Jim Simmons, known as Brazos Jack among us cowpokes, not only makes some very fine holsters but has patterns for holsters and gunbelts for the do it yourself crowd. These patterns are available at Hidecrafters.

Anyone interested in the actual leather, crafted by Jim should look right here at Etowah River Leather. I wish I had known about this outfit before I ordered my holster from Big Ed at San Pedro Saddlery. I don't know that Jim does better work, or worse, than Big Ed. I think when we get among the top craftsmen than the quality is more or less equal, it is just that Big Ed is very well established while Jim is still a bit smaller. When I see Big Ed in Tombstone sometime next week, I am going to see if he will craft the holster I have on order much like the one Jim has made. Then, when I collect the nickels and dimes together I can order a belt and right-hand holster from Jim and have things looking more or less alike. Or at least close enough to look like a set through smudged glasses.

My old holster, the one with the conchos and tooling is pretty, unfortunately it's leather is not as stiff and it doesn't work as slick. Too bad I wasn't born rich instead of so good looking, I could have a set of holsters that is nicely tooled, and good, thick leather, too.

No comments: